The 12 Commandments of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu which apply to the sport but can also be used in our every day lives.
- To be strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.
- To speak to all of happiness, health, and prosperity.
- To give all your friends the feeling that they have value.
- To look at the bright side and turn your optimism into eventual reality.
- To think only the best, work only for the best, and expect only the best.
- To be as fair and as enthusiastic about success of others as of your own.
- To forget the mistakes of the past and focus your energy on the achievements of the future.
- To always keep the person next to you happy, and always smile to those who address you.
- To expend the greatest time improving yourself, and no time criticizing others.
- To be too great to feel uneasiness, too noble to feel rage, too happy to feel setbacks, and strong enough to feel fear.
- To have a good opinion of yourself and proclaim it to the world. Not with resounding words, but with good works.
- To have the firm conviction that the world is on your side, as long as you stay loyal to what is best in you.
Written by Carlos Gracie, Sr. the creator of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and translated by Rolles Gracie.
Every day we wake up, we have a battle to fight, a battle against ourselves and the day and it is up to us to decide whether or not we are going to let the day win over us or if we are going to conquer over the day. It all starts with you, preparing for success, making a plan, following through with it and continuing to dominate every obstacle standing in your way. It all starts with choices, we have the choice to wake up, be grateful, be blessed, be humble and hungry or we have the choice to wake up, be bitter, negative and consumed by all the doubt and stress you face in your life. We have to fight our enemy within, we have to learn to control the doubt, the negative, the stress and the worry and turn it into the positive. We have to be victorious over ourselves and know we can accomplish anything we put our minds to because the power of the mind is the most powerful muscle we use. We have the choice to eat healthy, to take the stairs, to move our bodies, to exercise, to play, to enrich our lives with books, knowledge and learning. We have to fight our fight against wanting to be lazy, to eat crappy low quality processed food, to fight the demons the tell us we can’t, or we won’t or we shouldn’t and turn them into ‘I can’, ‘I will’, and ‘I should’. We can fight and we can win, whether food, exercise, work, stress or life be the enemy, we can win the fight. We can knock them all down so hard they won’t want to ever get up because they are too scared to. Winning isn’t the only thing, it’s everything. Continue to strive for greatness, make good choices and keep strolling down the path to success.