The 12 Commandments of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu which apply to the sport but can also be used in our every day lives.
- To be strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.
- To speak to all of happiness, health, and prosperity.
- To give all your friends the feeling that they have value.
- To look at the bright side and turn your optimism into eventual reality.
- To think only the best, work only for the best, and expect only the best.
- To be as fair and as enthusiastic about success of others as of your own.
- To forget the mistakes of the past and focus your energy on the achievements of the future.
- To always keep the person next to you happy, and always smile to those who address you.
- To expend the greatest time improving yourself, and no time criticizing others.
- To be too great to feel uneasiness, too noble to feel rage, too happy to feel setbacks, and strong enough to feel fear.
- To have a good opinion of yourself and proclaim it to the world. Not with resounding words, but with good works.
- To have the firm conviction that the world is on your side, as long as you stay loyal to what is best in you.
Written by Carlos Gracie, Sr. the creator of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and translated by Rolles Gracie.