1. Clean out your pantry. First thing to do is to take a trash bag and throw away everything that is not real, natural healthy food. If it processed, has multiple ingredients and has been sitting in your pantry for many weeks or even months, throw it away.
2. Shop the perimeter of the grocery store. Almost everything you could possibly need to eat is on the perimeter of the grocery store. All of the fruits, vegetables, meats, eggs and nuts are on the outside. All of the bad processed stuff is on the inside with the exception of the canned fruits and vegetables.
3. Taste the rainbow. Fill up your cart on all of the colorful fruits and vegetables your heart desires. The more vegetables the better. Different colored foods offer different vitamins and nutrients that your body needs.
4. Plan ahead. Plan your meals out for the week and shop accordingly. What are you going to have for breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday this week? Eggs for breakfast are great but how many will you need to get you through the week? Think about salads for lunch and what meals for dinner. Leftovers are great for any meal including breakfast. Breakfast for dinner can always work in a pinch as well and is amazing.
5. Don’t drink your calories. Any drink that has calories is not worth consuming. Stick with drinks such as water, straight coffee and green tea. If you want a little flavor in your water, try adding cucumber, lemon, or berries.
6. Don’t be afraid of fat. Fat is your friend and it really helps keep you satiated and satisfied. Great fats to eat are coconut, avocado, olive oil, grapeseed oil and nuts. Try to eat a some with every meal.
7. Follow paleo recipes. Buy a paleo recipe book and experiment with one or two new recipes a week. You will be pleasantly surprised on how easy and delicious they actually are.
8. Surround yourself with support. Surrounding your self with people who are on the same primal journey as you helps make you feel more comfortable and gives you someone else to enjoy all of the tasty primal foods you will be eating.
9. Don’t be afraid to skip meals. Some people call this intermittent fasting while others call it skipping a meal or two. Our primal ancestors survived without eating 3 square meals a day and so can you. With primal eating there should not a be a blood sugar crash and we should be able to go long periods of time without eating.
10. Slow down. Slow down to really eat, chew and enjoy your food. Think about putting the fork down in between each and every bite and really focusing on the flavors and taste of all the natural goodness in your mouth. Often times I think we are too rushed and stressed to really enjoy what we are eating.
11. Don’t eat free non-paleo food. Easy to say but very hard to do. We are often surrounded by way to many unhealthy foods thrown in our face, whether it be doughnuts or candy at work or cake and ice cream at birthday parties. Just politely say not thank you and move on.
12. Don’t ever under-eat to lose weight. For years we were told that calorie restricted diets were a great way to lose weight. While that may be true, you want to lose fat, not lean body mass. I know that over-restriction of calories results in too much loss of lean body mass.
13. Think 90/10 rule. Think about eating as heathy as you can 90% of the time and indulging 10% of the time. When you do eat that 10% make those calories count and enjoy them but also try to make your next meal a healthy one so you do not snowball down that slippery slope.
These are just my tips to eating on the primal journey. I hope they help inform you and make you become more aware of the food you are putting in your body. Happy and healthy eating everyone.