Happy New Year to you all! I hope 2013 brings all of you great health, happiness and success in your adventures this year. A new year brings so much hope, promise and resolutions to be a better person, enjoy life more and get the most out of your opportunities. I am unsure of how many of you make resolutions and more importantly how many of you stick with them but I believe I found my lists to help guide me along the way. This list is not just for the year but for all the rest of the years of my life. All are great values to honor and respect day in and day out.
The Dalai Lama’s Instructions for Life
- Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
- When you lose, don’t lose the lesson.
- Follow the three R’s:
– Respect for self,
– Respect for others and
– Responsibility for all your actions.
- Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.
- Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Don’t let a little dispute injure a great relationship.
- When you realize you’ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
- Spend some time alone every day.
- Open your arms to change, but don’t let go of your values.
- Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
- Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and
think back, you’ll be able to enjoy it a second time.
- A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
- In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don’t bring up the past.
- Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.
- Be gentle with the earth.
- Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.
- Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
- Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
- If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
- If you want to be happy, practice compassion.